India will soon be most populated Country in the world, the demand for natural resources and material goods is at its peak and it gradually resulting in accumulation of solid waste all over the country. But the system to manage the solid waste is practically dysfunctional, suffering from organizational inefficiency, distorted incentives and lack of modern infrastructure doesn’t help in recycling of waste and it is estimated that over the next two decades the problem of solid waste will not only increase but it will very dangerous for the environment as well. The gap between development and its effects has been continuously widening, the more the development we achieve the more we are harming our environment and it will eventually lead to grave suffering for our future generation. In this article we will gauge at some interesting yet easy methods that will help in best utilization by recycling the waste at our work place :
- The maximum utilization policy : The use of paper is at its optimum in the office but we often ignore the simple technique to use therecycled paper and print on both sides. When using paperin the office, print on both sides of the sheet and recycle the paper when you are finished. By recycling one ton of paper, you can save 17 trees, almost 7,000 gallons of waterand more than three cubic yards of landfill space.
- Edit it before you shoot: Encourage everybody in the office to edit on computers before printing. This move will help reduce the number of draft copies of documents to be printed. If you still think printing drafts is necessary, print them on the unused side of papersheets that would otherwise be discarded.
- The Availability Factor: Make sure your home and office are outfitted with recycling bins for paper, plastic and metal. Keep them out in the open and label them appropriately. Sometimes the convenience factor is all that is needed.
- Don’t let them reach the landfills: Buy re-manufactured ink and toner cartridges. Each re-manufactured cartridge keeps approximately 2.5 pounds of metal and plastic out of landfills and saves about a half gallon of oil.
- Recycle old newspapers laying around the office: When finished reading the newspaper, either leave it for someone else to read or recycle it.
- Buy rechargeable batteries: It takes 1,000 regular batteries to equal the lifespan of one rechargeable battery. When you are discarding your batteries, recycle them.
- Reuse your morning coffee cup: Or better yet, buy a mug to avoid the waste caused by throwing away the paper or Styrofoam.
- Smart Selection: Select plant landscaping that requires low maintenance and produces less waste.
It goes without saying, of course, that waste reduction is not the only thing that you need to declare for your business or office to truly be “Green”. The products and services your business offer should be environmentally friendly as well. Increasingly, businesses are recognizing the value of focusing on the overall sustainability of their operations.